Notes from Health Cell call – Sunday Jan 7 2018
Attending: Teena (DC-Metro), Bahusaheb (SATHI-Pune), Kamayani (JJSS-Bihar), Vijay (Columbus), Aravinda (DC-Metro)
Aravinda – At the health session during the AID Partners conference, participants from several groups including Dr Praful & Dr Haren from JSS, Kamayani Keki from JJSS, Dr. Ramnathan from VMT, and Drs Nitin, Shaku & Bahusaheb from SATHI talked about collaborating on a health intervention in Bihar.
Dr Nitin shared the following note:
This mail is continuation with our two rounds of discussions between JJSS, SATHI and JSS during AID national conference in Hydrabad on initiating focused and systematic work around public health in Bihar. The following are points which we have discussed and developed consensus among us-
- In order to build work in public health sector of Bihar through JJSS, SATHI and JSS will do collaboration with JJSS. In which the role of SATHI and JSS would be to provide strategic and technical inputs and support for building the work in public health sector.
- JJSS would like to initiate work in public sector with two approaches. One approach would be to develop understanding and perspective of JJSS activists about Health as a whole which may be in the form of Health education as well as conduction of modified Community Health Worker training on regular basis. Another parallel approach would be to build the campaign on demanding availability of basic and adequate infrastructure and facilities in public health institutions of Bihar.
- In order develop concrete action with wider discussion in JJSS, team members from JSS and SATHI will plan visit to JJSS field area and will have discussion with JJSS activists on the above mentioned approaches and if possible to decide further plan of action among us.
I thought it would be a good idea to hear more about it and see how the health cell could be involved.
Kamayani – When the floods struck in Bihar, AID-Partner Dr Ramanathan came for 7 days. He suggested that apart from flood related health work, there needs to be a general health intervention in the area. We need to look at the general health status of the people. In that context we started talking to different groups – SATHI, JSS, Dr Ramanthan, Dr. Abhay Shukla.
We also need to understand what health means for people. Recently one of our lead people had lost one of her daughters, age 12. Not far from a health facility. She went to a shaman. We need to understand why, what health means for people.
When we met at the aid partners conference we sat together and thought about these ideas
- We need to increase our knowledge about health, hygiene, nutrition, family planning, et al
- We may start with the model of having a Community health worker – to be selected through a process of public meetings.
- Could use some of the techniques JSS shared such as having a people’s thermometer (easy-to-read)
- Will also implement techniques developed by SATHI to make the govt system accountable.
We would like to work on an amalgam of these two approaches. Shall discuss locally and develop a concept which would be ready to share in February.
JJSS, JSS and SATHI folks plan to meet in Bihar probably in March.