Partner : Chintan
This project supports a coordinator who works with waste pickers group Safai sena and trains them on environmental policies related to waste management, constantly changing policies pertaining to urban development and prepares leaders from Safai sena to directly represent themselves on issues affecting their livelihood security.
- Chintan’s focus is on ensuring equitable and sustainable production and consumption of materials, and improved disposal of waste. An important part of this is ensuring green jobs, security and dignity for the urban poor, many of whom earn a living as waste recyclers. Their initiatives include research, campaigns, policy interventions, building capacity among those engaged in recycling, and creating awareness about the need for reduced consumption and better waste management among the middle and upper classes in Delhi.
- Weekly meetings are conducted by the coordinator with safai sena members where they discuss policies and news articles related to waste managment, environment and climate change. The members’ then request additional information on certain items which are then gathered, prepared and presented in the next meeting by the technical coordinator. Safai sena members publish a monthly magazine called “Safai nama” where they share stories and issues that affect them and their families.
- The coordinator of this project is also working with children of 25 Delhi schools to conduct “Eco Class” that will serve as a platform for regular interaction with students and parents regarding waste management at home and school by performing activities on the same.
- Another major goal of the coordinator is to maintain chintan’s website and facebook page by posting regular updates regarding the various projects done by Chintan as well as design outreach programs to engage the community at large on issues related to waste management and environment.
- Chintan was presented the US’ first Innovation Award for theEmpowerment of Women and Girls in recognition of its efforts in training and organizing waste-pickers and eliminating child labor from recycling. This award was given in support of its work to reduce ecological footprints and increase environmental justice amongst the informal sector through green jobs, advocacy and organizing.