Mohammed Bazaar Backward Classes Development Society (MBBCDS) works in 3 villages in Birbhum district to create livelihood opportunities, specially for women and improve food security. Through a public rural appraisal, the whole village tries to understand the resources available to them and plan for the coming year. MBBCDS workers train people on various government schemes and governance models – Panchayati Raj, Old Age & Widow pension, Self Help Group formation, applying for work under MGNREGA.
- Annual budget $23000
- Increase awareness on available government schemes
- Applying for MGNREGA work or compensation if the panchayat is not able to provide work
- Over 1000 people have learned techniques of landshaping methods, building watershed structures on land, growing vegetables on the banks rearing duck at the same time. This has helped in reduction of distress migration
- Women have greatly embraced fruit trees plantation and kitchen gardens which has improved food security
- Local government is cooperating and will help to spread the reach
- Awareness material such as newsletters, wall writings and street plays have been successful modes of information dissemination