Supporting Chapter: PennState,Boise,Pittsburgh
Amount: Rs. 719500
The function of Unmesh Child Protection Centre is to prevent child trafficking and violence against children. Voluntary Health Association of Tripura (VHAT) works on the same issue in Agartala, Tripura. They rescue, rehabilitate, reintegrate and provide medical help for the victims. More than 50 children in the age group of 7-18 are directly getting benefitted through this program.
"Unmesh"(meaning "sprouting of new life") Child Protection Centre provides shelter and care to child laborers, street children, rag pickers, children rejected by the parents especially the father, orphan children, victims of sexual & physical violence, insurgency, and differently abled children.
The Unmesh Centre provides:
- Basic health care: with regular health check-up, immunization and medical facilities
- Education: Formal or Non-formal education from class 1 to 10
- Good nutritious meals and vegetables grown in kitchen garden, and meat from a small poultry farm maintained by the centre
- Life-skills and vocational training activities like tailoring, bamboo handicraft, agriculture, cooking etc are taught to help the children integrate into the society when they grow up
- Computer education and health education along with other extra-curricular activities like music and dance classes, indoor and outdoor games
- Training in agricultural practices, poultry farming, vermi-composting and rain water harvesting on a small field developed by the centre