Sahiyar began as an initiative of a group of students from the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in 1984, with a vision to create a society in which women have equal rights.
- Campaigns against sex selective abortion, awareness of Pre-conception and Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques Act
- Counseling, legal and practical help to women in crisis – implementation of Domestic Violence Act 2005
- Vocational training for livelihood generation
- Basic education and counseling to girls regarding their changing bodies
- Youth workshops on communal harmony and gender justice
- Training grassroots women leaders to file police complaints